Something to remember, as we enter a new year: Yesterday's history, Tomorrow is a mystery and Today is a gift, that's why it is called "the present". [Via]

Monday, October 29, 2012

Cure the Blues 3


I think we all grew up listening to our parent’s music, so when I heard Lena's Sunday voice described as a combination of Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and Billie Holiday, I was interested and contacted her last year in September.

Lena explained that her father would play their songs day after day and speak as if they were family members.

She also stated how uncomfortable she was with her name being in the same sentence with these legendary women because of her admiration and respect.

Since following Lena, I can say I have enjoyed her music and it does take me back.

If you know nothing else about the Prescott Oakland Point neighborhood, you have to know our rich history of jazz and blues and their contributions to today’s music.

Tonight , stop by Jack London Square, Yoshi's  and enjoy the great voice of Lena Sunday and the music of her quartet, performing "Cure the Blues 3" jazz benefit concert. Also performing is Lloyd Gregory and his 6-piece band.

By the way, my favorite song by Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan is “Misty” written in 1954 by the pianist Erroll Garner and played a key role in the plot of the movie “Play Misty for Me” (1971) featuring Clint Eastwood.