Something to remember, as we enter a new year: Yesterday's history, Tomorrow is a mystery and Today is a gift, that's why it is called "the present". [Via]

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Alternative car fuel arrives in Oakland

The station, operated by Propel Fuels, is in the Adams Point neighborhood, at the intersection of Grand Avenue and Perkins Street. Its opening marks biofuel's first foothold in Oakland. To commemorate the occasion, Propel spent two days offering each new customer five free gallons of either the company's ethanol-based "FlexFuel," or biodiesel for diesel engines.

FlexFuel, also called E85, is a biofuel composed of roughly 85 percent ethanol, the remaining 15 percent being mostly gasoline.

Read more here

Also, the Department of Energy and the California Energy Commission will furnish Propel Fuels with $10.9 million in grants to help it deploy its ethanol and biodiesel fueling pumps across California.

The Redwood City-based Propel is putting 75 pumps across the state in the next 18 months to two years, co-locating them at existing gas stations to limit overhead costs.

Developing the pumps could create 450 jobs in California. Also, the lower-carbon fuels dispersed at the pumps could avoid 39 million gallons of petroleum, saving 187,500 tons of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere each year, the company said.

Read more at the San Francisco Business Times, here

the opening of Propel compliments the recent opening of a new state-of-the-art CNG station located one half mile south of the Oakland Coliseum at the CFN Olympian station, 8515 San Leandro Street, Oakland (Near 85th Street and San Leandro Street).