Something to remember, as we enter a new year: Yesterday's history, Tomorrow is a mystery and Today is a gift, that's why it is called "the present". [Via]

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Oakland Running Festival is this weekend


On the Saturday, March 26th the Oakland Running Festival will feature the Oakland Tribune 5K at 6:30 AM

On Sunday, March 27th the Oakland Running Festival will feature the Marathon and 4-Person Relay at 7:30 AM; Half Marathon at 9:00 AM; and Kids Fun Run at 8:30 AM

All runners will enter the Prescott neighborhood from 7th Street, turning right at Mandela Parkway and continue until turning right at 32nd street.

Drivers should use caution.

Be advised there will be street and freeway ramp closures for the full and half marathon routes on Sunday, March 27th beginning early 7:00 AM through 2:00 PM.

Streets will reopen after participants move through the neighborhoods.

For the festival weekend schedule, click here

For the Runner's Handbook, click here

Remember to plan ahead and check the complete detour schedule and map.

Our Neighborhood Detours:

If you are located on the West side (Prescott Neighborhood) of Mandela Parkway, your detour for the Marathon (miles 19, 20, 21) and Half Marathon (miles 6 + 7) is:

Oakland Run Festival is suggesting that starting at 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM, you take Wood Street north, then a right on 34th Street, stay on 34th and cross San Pablo, left on Martin Luther King, Jr Way, take sharp right at 47th Street onto Highway 24 westbound toward I-580 or I-980.

After 1:30 PM: Runners will have cleared area; streets will be reopened to normal traffic.

Note: I have my own suggestion for getting around. If anyone is attempting to access any of the freeways, whether it is I-80, I-580, I-880, I-980, Highway13 or Highway 24 (an often overlooked amenity in the Prescott) living in the epicenter of the bay, they still can.

If you can make your way to West Grand and Campbell, turn west on West Grand and at the first light (frontage road) you make a right, it will take you to I-580 Berkeley, Richmond; a left will take you to the I-880 (7th street ) freeway on-ramp.

At Frontage Road and West Grand, you continue west (towards SF) after the next light, you will have the option of either I-80 San Francisco (left lane) or I-580 Downtown Oakland, Haywood (right lane). From I-580 you can access I-980 (Downtown), Highway 24 (Concord/Walnut Creek) or Highway 13 (Monclair).

If you discover or know of another way, drop me a note at marcus_a_johnson [AT] yahoo.com

If you are located on the Eastside of Mandela Parkway, your detour for the Marathon (miles 19, 20, 21) and Half Marathon (miles 6 + 7), are:

Oakland Run Festival is advising from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM the northbound Mandela Parkway (toward Emeryville) will be closed to traffic. They are suggesting to get to West Grand you should take a right on Brush to I-980.

You can either continue straight onto I-980 westbound toward I 880 southbound (on-ramp entrance at 16th Street) or take a left on 17th Street, then a left on Castro to I-980 eastbound toward Highway 24 and I-580.

After 1:30 PM: Runners will have cleared the area and streets will be reopened to normal traffic.